Re: Oracle: "Microsoft is quaking in its boots over Linux"

From: jan <jan_at_tat.dk>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:29:21 +0200

ASTROSPMIS wrote:

> Yes we could talk about old OSs like WIN95
> which is now what??? As old as lets's say
> LINUX??? And how many people rushed out
> to get LINUX (for free even!) opposed to the
> one's that bought Winxx . Is there enough
> support (or money) to make LINUX compete
> for a desktop OS position??? Get real! You need real money to develop, to
> market and to support an OS. In order to do that you have to convince the
> masses that it's USABLE! Let alone hope that software companies will follow
> your lead. Kinda like Ellison's NC or for that matter Oracle as a whole. Just
> ask ten people
> off the street if they can spell Oracle let alone
> LINUX. Then, if they can, ask them what
> they are. Ask the same people about Winxx
> and compare the results!

I think what bothers you - or even infuriates you? - is the fact that Linux is real. There isn't a commercial organisation behind Linux that tries to convince any 'masses' that they should buy Linux - those that 'evangelize' do so for their

own personal reasons. I do because I find it very rewarding to develop programs in Linux, whereas I find it cumbersome, to say the least, in Windows - and I am open to the possibility that it may be my fault.

But because Linux is free, it can keep living and developing forever - as long as

there are enough people who enjoy working with it. It just doesn't matter if no company is ever going to back it.

However, Linux has proven it's value by now - and the reason why it has become such a good system is the same that made UNIX good: it has been developed for a long time by 'a bunch of nerds' - people who like programming and who are willing to put a good deal of work in it, even to the extent of doing everything
all over several times until you get it right. IMO this the ideal way of programming
- not very efficient, but worthwhile if you want to make your programs as near perfect as circumstances permit. How many programmers in commercial businesses do things that way? I never did in any job I've had - because all that

matters is 'results' - 'it doesn't have to be a work of art, it just has to work', so
commercial programs are almost never works of art, and sometimes they just barely work.

The Oracle system, however, seems to a notable exception.

/jan Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 02:29:21 CDT