Re: Lock on table

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 15 Oct 1998 18:40:26 GMT

From: Jeremiah Wilton >>
Ooh, that sticky terminology thing again. You probably should not kill any <<

Item #2 in my reply should have read 'kill the Oracle session background process' to make it clear which process I was talking about. You can find this terminology as well as shadow process and server process in the manuals.

As far as your comment that the alter system kill session command should do the job please refer back to the original reply where I state that I have seen it fail where the front-end process is already terminated. I believe that it is best to do an OS level kill at this point. On our system neither a kill -1 or
-2 will terminate and Oracle session server process. If I remember correctly
these correspond to hangup (HUP) and cancel. I will try to lookup the numeric for TERM and try it.

As for the comment: >>>
 Well, "ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION..." does not cause PMON to try to delete the client process. <<<

The 'unable to delete process' message is Oracle terminology since it appears in the alert log and when this occurs according to Oracle support you can 1) try to wait it out and see if Oracle eventually deletes the process, and removes the corresponding entry from v$session, or 2) bounce the instance. I have seen this message in versions 7.0.15, 7.1.3, 7.1.6, 7.2.2.3, and 7.3.3.5 under UNIX on multiple platforms.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own
advice - Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 13:40:26 CDT