Re: backup and recovery question

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/14

Basically, there is no difference...You are playing with fire in both situations. If the database is open while the "offline" or "cold" backup is performed, the backup is invalid and can not be guaranteed usable in a recovery situation. To better understand this, I recommend you familiarize yourself with the checkpoint process and how it relates to datafiles and control files. Upon startup, if any of the datafiles do not agree with the current checkpoint sequence number, then the database will need to be recovered. I would also like to note that Oracle doesn't care or acknowledge UNIX/NT/LINUX time stamps, even if they are the same on all datafiles.

Good Luck,
Satar

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin