backup and recovery question

From: Tansel Ozkan <tansel_at_openix.com>
Date: 1998/10/14

Our system administrator brought up an interesting point:

I know that a backup of Oracle files for a open database in NOARCHIVELOG mode will not startup the database. However, I was not able to give a good explanation for the following question:

What is the difference between a
database started after a machine crash due to a power loss and a database started with all Oracle files copied at exactly same point in time for a database running in NOARCHIVELOG mode and when the database is open.

Would an Oracle instance recovered using these set of files perform an instance recovery at startup?

Thanks..

Tansel Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT