Re: Lock on table

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 22:30:39 GMT

From: "Luc Demanche" >>
When a PC locked a row for update, and this PC crashed. Record get locked and not relesed. How can we fix this problem <<

  1. Given time Oracle might recognize that the front-end process is gone, but I have seen if fail to do this
  2. At the Os level kill the Oracle background process; this should hopefully get pmon to rollback the transaction
  3. If item #1 does not happen and item #2 does not get rid of the problem then you pretty much have to bounce (stop and re-start) the instance.

You could try using the alter system kill session command, however, I do not recommend its use when the front-end process is missing. I have seen pmon write 'unalbe to delete process' messages in the altet log for hours when this command was issued and one of the two processes were missing.

I hope this helps.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 17:30:39 CDT