Re: FOREIGN Key to a View ?

From: <esiyuri_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:37:57 GMT

In article <36248B1E.14A4180_at_hadassah.org.il>,   Isaac Chocron <Itshak_at_hadassah.org.il> wrote:

> It's possible to create a foreign key to a view ?

No this isn't possible in Oracle 7 (I don't know about 8, but I doubt it)

If you *really* want to do this you could (probably) try using triggers. Have a per-row insert/update trigger on the child table that checks that the new record has a matching record in the parent *view*, and have per-row delete/update/insert triggers on all the tables used in the view to ensure that any changes to these records do not result in the view now not returning a record that is "referenced" by the child table.

While this may work, I have never tried it & suspect that the performance would be terrible!

--
Regards
Yuri McPhedran