Re: I, Oracle 8 Server and JAVA .... (bah!)

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:54:27 GMT

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:08:54 -0700, "Thor" <thor_at_echidna.net> wrote:

>Could be a few things.
>I'm assuming you're using NT4 with service pack3. This wonderful layered
>operating system has a warning out that setting your colours on your screen
>driver can stop the JAVA VM from working ... pretty cool. The fix for this
>is posted on Microsoft's website. Or you can just set your system to
>something less than millions of colours. The latest patches from Microsoft
>have also rendered a new thing into the JAVAVM that can give you problems if
>you go below 256 colours.

Thor is most likely correct here. A requirement of *Java* is a minimum of 256 colors on the display device. I have seen this situation where a user attempts to start the Database Assistant and the Java runtime just sits and spins. Upping the colors to 256 corrected the problem.

>Thor HW
>
>Walter Pircali wrote in message <3623ABFE.90593BED_at_dse.it>...
>>Hi folks, I've a question to make you...
>>
>>I have some systems composed by NT worsk. or server, office 97 ,
>>netscape
>>and Oracle 8 (with and without Dev2.1).
>>
>>It happens that when I invoke DataBase Assistant to create a DB, starts
>>the launch
>>proc. , the jawaw proc and itīs all. It happens nothing more, and I've
>>to kill the
>>processes.
>>
>>Does anyone of you have an answer to thil f!?="=ing thing?
>>
>>I appreciate very much everything you can tell me ...
>>

>>bye and tanks

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 05:54:27 CDT