Getting started with Oracle

From: Chris Price <cprice_at_its.to>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:24:42 -0600

    Hello;

    I am nearing completion of a Comp Sci degree at a Canadian University and I am anxious to 'experiment' with various commercial database packages. Being a fan of Linux led me to download Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux from the Oracle site yesterday. Following the Linux howto instructions, I had the default database running in about 2 hours.

    What I would like to ask is: Now that my database is setup, how do I access it (ie: look at table structure, views, tuples, and so on)?

    Maybe what I am looking for is a good book (O'reilly perhaps?) that covers the basics of what the underlying concepts of Oracle databases are, preferably with some minor examples and (again, basic) command reference.

    Thanks for your input in advance. Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 00:24:42 CDT