SQLNET x NET8 x LONG field - Help PLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE

From: Delfim Martins <delfim.martins_at_citicorp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:25:21 -0400

Hi ALL,

I have the following problem since I upgraded from 7.1.6 (SQLNET 1) to 8.0.3 (NET8). I have a table which has the following fields:

table x

   field1 varchar(10)
   field2 varchar(10)
   field3 varchar(16)
   field4 number(38)

   field5 number(38)
   field6 number(38)
   field7 long

and I have a C program that uses OCI calls to access this table. The average time to read the 134 records of this table on 7.1.6 was 0.2 seconds, but since I upgraded to 8.0.3 the average time is 28 seconds. This situation only happens when I run this program on a machine that is not the Oracle server and the requests must go thru SQLNET (on 7.1.6) or NET8 (8.0.3) interfaces. The same problem does not happen if I remove the long field from the table or if I run the program in the Oracle Server machine. Does anyone know if there is a problem on NET8 related to long fields ?

The Oracle server and the C program are running under Digital Unix 4.0D.

regards,

Delfim Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 08:25:21 CDT