How to push CPU to its fullest potential?

From: Robert Chung <robertch_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:09:52 GMT

We have Oracle database running in parallel mode on AIX UNIX box with four CPUs. We run a batch job (written in PL/SQL) that takes more than four hours everyday, and to my surprise, I found out that CPUs of this AIX UNIX box almost always sit idle at least more than 60% of the time while this big batch job is running. Why is this happening? Is this because hard disks are the big bottle-neck? (but we do have macho RAID devices hooked up to this server)

I was assuming Oracle automatically distributes this one big batch job to different processes in different CPUs. Is this false? If so, what should I do to force distribution of processes in different CPUs? Thank you in advance.

Robert Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 19:09:52 CDT