Re: db link help needed

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:20:15 +0200

Hi Aric,
This is caused by global_dbname = true in your initorcl.ora. In this case every database in your network must have an unique name. Also, the name of the database link MUST equal the name of the database. The problem here is apparently both databases have the same name though they reside on different servers. Probably they will never link correctly, not even when you make sure global_dbname = false. Your first shot: try whether it will work with global_dbname = false. My bet is: it won't work.
Best setup for linked databases in my experience is: make sure you have different databases and uses 'real' tcp/ip domains instead of dummy ones (world)
make sure there is a public database link (NB If you setup Oracle Names [don't know how many databases you have] this is taken care of by Oracle Names)
create public database link blabla using 'blabla_at_arcounsultinginc.com' (where blabla of course is the TNS descriptor AND the database name AND the SID of the remote database, they should all be the same for this to work). NO username NO password. If usernames and passwords are the same in both databases, they will connect automatically. You only need a fully qualified private database link to supplement the public when usernames and passwords are different.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA