Re: Speeding up deletes

From: M. Bhatti <mohammed.bhatti_at_mci.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:27:42 -0400

Arthur Langham wrote:

> I need to speed up deletes. I'm looking into not logging the
> transaction (I
> don't care if I can rollback), though I don't know if this is
> possible. Any
> suggestions?

Not sure if it would help in your situation but I came across this suggestion in Oracle Performance Tuning by Gurry and Corrigan. In Appendix B: Hot Tuning Tips, quote:

"Q: Deleting rows from a table takes forever. What can I do?

"A: Deleting all the rows from a table is usually significantly slower than dropping a table. This is because work has to be done to flag free space in every one of the blocks that contained a row. If the table has indexes, the enteries in the index are marked for deletion. This is a very resource-consuming process. A trick that some sites perform is to update a row as deleted by setting a DELETED_DATE column to the date the row was deleted and to perform the actual deletions on a periodical basis outside prime usage times."

Then it adds a couple of other small paras. Sounds kinda like a soft delete which would work from an application well.

mkb Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 12:27:42 CDT