Re: Only a sennior DBA would know

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:30:44 GMT

satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I never understood why it matters if you have 7 -10 years of experience to be
> considered as a Senior level. Oracle's technology has changed dramatically in
> the past 2 years alone. Sure you might have 10 years of experience with
> Oracle Ver. 5,6 or even 7, but a company who uses Oracle 8 won't benefit any
> different from an junior level who has the same year experience as the senior
> level guy with Oracle 8. With the latest technology with Hardware and OS,
> backup and recovery, tuning and Administration theories and procedures
> changed from 3 years ago. I believe Oracle is an on going learning process,
> and those of us who spend 5 years behind a desk in the same company as a DBA
> without keeping up with technology deserves no better pay because he is
> considered "senior level". I am open to any comments in regards to this
> topic, and invite the Older guys to contribute to this discussion.

Always an interesting topic. What about the same number of years RDBMS experience but different platforms? I often wonder how much I benefit from different perspectives, in my case Ingres, Oracle, Sybase, vs the lesser depth of experience on any one platform. Likewise the "1 year experience 8 times" phenomenon - what sort of environment and activities was the DBA involved with? The field includes so many diverse specialties and tools it's not difficult to go for a couple of years without touching on many of them.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC)- fpierce_at_avialantic.com	Oracle/Sybase DBA
Mid-Atlantic Aviation on the Web - 	http://www.avialantic.com

** Mid Atlantic Air Museum ** College Park Aviation Museum **