Re: Server Manager Screen Mode??

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:31:00 +0100

Well, giving your platform would have helped...

  1. SQL*DBA is discontinued.
  2. Server Manager: On UNIX, the GUI version is generally called 'svrmgrm', the command line version 'svrmgrl'. Note that there is no GUI version with Oracle8 (stupid move by Oracle, that one, IMHO).
  3. Server Manager: On NT, there is no GUI version, the command line version is svrmgr23 (I think, on Oracle7 - check it) and 'svrmgr30' on Oracle8. You have a number of GUI tools on NT to help you out, if you need them. Check the install docs and CD.
  4. Enterprise Manger: As one poster pointed out, this is an option. Note, however, that much of the functionality you were used to in SQL*DBA is not there - you have to buy additional 'option' packs like the 'Diagnostics' and 'Tuning' packs. They are an obsolute rip-off, as they are based on your total *user* licences, not the (very limited) number of DBA's you have using them. The latest versions are not worth the money, IMO - you may feel different, so try before you buy.
  5. Roll you own scripts and run them automated via shell or Perl, that's what I do. Or download some scripts from the Web or pull them off many of the Oracle CD's out there.

Just my two (million) cents.

MotoX.