Re: OWAS Anyone Using ....

From: Thor <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:49:12 -0700

We've been running some Forms via that mechanism for a while. I'd suggest using the JInitiator from Oracle's WEB page. We were using the JAVA activator from Sun, but it is not certified, and we had some issues with the connections being dropped. The only other "certified" means is the AppletViewer, but it is a bit to download! As far as scalability goes, we haven't seen much difference between running the Forms server, and say running the same number of users via character mode Forms, maybe a little better than that, and what you can use for sizing. One thing to watch for is CaSe sensitive paths if you deploy on UNIX, but have built them in a Windoze environment.

The Reports server, in our tests, is working quite nicely. We had built a similar server about 4-5 years ago that we are in the process of replacing with the Reports3.0 server now.

Thor HW