Tuning a query on a non-dedicated machine

From: <conwayjim_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:21:44 GMT

We are looking for the right (mostly oracle) utilities to run...and statistics to capture to determine which version of a query would run more efficiently
(speedwise). We don't have a dedicated system to use to benchmark the
queries...so we want to pick the query based on analysis of reports/statistics
(explain plan is one input). Eventually...we will get real user
response time feedback.

What utilities would you run...and what stats would you look at to support your decision to rollout one query vs another?