SUN E450 vs PC server

From: JDeCicco <decj1_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:47:08 -0500

I administer a database that is used for ad-hoc queries. The data model is simple: The user can query a 15M row/1.5G table, or he/she can query a 90M 15G table. We fear that as the number of users increases, our current hardware will be insufficient. Currently there is at most 3 concurrent queries being processed, in the future it could be 30.

Currently we have:
Dell 6100
2x200MHz CPU
256M RAM
13 9G drives (2 channel RAID controller)

We are using partitioned tables/indexes (actually multiple copies of the same table, each partitioned on a diff. field), bitmap indexes, and are confident in the tuning of Oracle.What I don't have confidence in, is that upgrading to a Dell 6300, or similar PC server will substantially increase our disk I/O bandwidth, and that is what we need. Any insight into the Sun/PC choice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Received on Mon Oct 12 1998 - 10:47:08 CDT