Re: Only a sennior DBA would know

From: Martin Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 12 Oct 1998 14:10:42 GMT

In article <6vlgbp$sjh$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, satar_at_my-dejanews.com says...

>I never understood why it matters if you have 7 -10 years of experience to be
{snip}
>changed from 3 years ago. I believe Oracle is an on going learning process,
>and those of us who spend 5 years behind a desk in the same company as a DBA
>without keeping up with technology deserves no better pay because he is
>considered "senior level". I am open to any comments in regards to this
>topic, and invite the Older guys to contribute to this discussion.

I've been doing it for nine years now (starting with ver 5), so I guess that makes me an 'older guy'. I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said, the technology changes rapidly and you need to keep up. If anything, having the dimly remembered baggage of all the older versions makes it even harder, but this applies to any technical area really - how many Unix types still type 'sync' three times....

>To answer the original post, I'm not "senior level" but the company that I
>work for is a sales and consulting company, I charge $220/hr to design,
>implement, administer, back-up and recover and fine tune version 7 and
>version 8 databases. If we ever have a client that wants to stay with version
>6, we will need to hire a senior level Oracle DBA.

I work for a University in the UK. Nice conditions etc but I'll hardly be retiring at 40.... Money is not everything however.

A cursory inspection of the computer press reveals that Oracle DBAs still seem to be in great demand, and in certain sectors can command v. high salaries. One wonders how the onwards march of Microsoft will affect all this in a few years time however.

Cheers
Martin

--
Martin Rapier, Database Administrator
Corporate Information & Computing Services. University of Sheffield Tel 0114 222 1137 The opinions expressed here may be those of my employer, or they may not. http://rhino.shef.ac.uk:3001/mr-home/ Received on Mon Oct 12 1998 - 09:10:42 CDT