Re: shutdown/startup Oracle8 NT

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:49:46 GMT

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:14:30 GMT, manu7502_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>My problem is to grant SYSOPER and SYSDBA to scott(scott is an example)
>
>In NT ,I dont have orapwd but orapwd80
>In a dos prompt i do:
> orapwd80 file=pwdorcl.ora password=oracle entries=10
>
>in my initorcl.ora I change the line
> remote_login_passwordfile = EXCLUSIVE
>
>I shutdown and startup the database to let the new parameter take into effect.
>
>then I do:
>
>sql>connect sys/passwd
> sql>grant sysoper to scott;
> error message
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
>It is not yet the good solution!

Have your remote_login_passwordfile parameter set to EXCLUSIVE.

Don't use SQL*Plus, use svrmgr30 or enterprise manager instead. Connect with svrmgr30 as:
CONNECT SYS/ORACLE AS SYSDBA
(ORACLE is the instance password you created with orapwd80)

List all users with SYSDBA or SYSOPER privileges (initialy there should be onls SYS and INTERNAL):
SELECT * FROM v$pwfile_users;

Now grant the scott the desired privilege: GRANT SYSDBA TO SCOTT; Verify the grant was successfull by querying v$pwfile_users again: SELECT * FROM v$pwfile_users; (User SCOTT should be listed)

Connect with svrmgr30 as scott with SYSDBA privilege: CONNECT SCOTT/TIGER AS SYSDBA
Try shutting down the database connected as SCOTT AS SYSDBA to verify SCOTT has been given the power of SYSDBA.

HTH,
--
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Oct 12 1998 - 07:49:46 CDT