Re: Full Ex/Im-port to New Instance, NT

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:40:33 GMT

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:42:31 +0100, "Yassir Khogaly" <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Dear ....You surely Need To Read More About OS users. The Article attached
>from Oracle Corporation Clearly says USERS WILL HAVE TO BE PRECREATED ....!!
>Also in case of having droped Database and Re-Installing NT. Or Lost your NT
>BOOT, Changing From FAT TO NTFS OR ....or Restructuring & Reorgnizing your
>Database In Full you have to follow this...UNDERSTAND..?

Well, dear....

With last few posts in this thread you made it very clear that your knowledge of what you are talking about is *very limited*, including the use of import utilities and handling the OPS$ users in general. The article about creating OPS$ users you atached in two postings is describing the totaly *normal* procedure of creating OPS$ acounts in Oracle. Nothing special or tricky or unusual in it. Anyone with general knowledge of OS and of the "CREATE USER..." command knows all this without this bulletin.

But what you maybe didn't realyse from this article is thE fact that it has *nothing* to do with imp utility. The imp will not check the OS to verify if the user it is creating allready exists in OS. It will simply create all database users from the .dmp file, regardles of the type of authentification they were created with. Once again: YOU DON'T HAVE TO PRECREATE USERS OR SYNONYMS OR ROLES OR GRANTS before using full database import. As Manoj allready mentioned, if this would be required then the purpose of full exp/full imp would be TOTALY defeated!

Sure you'll have to create users on the OS level eventualy if you'd want to connect to database as OPS$ account, but this has nothing to do with creating users on the database side!

Some additional comments to some of your previous posts:

>When running imp73, the import terminates at this statement. Please notice
>maxextents..!
>
>Incorrect file size OS error16..!
>
>CREATE TABLESPACE "MILLER" DATAFILE 'D:\MTL\DB\INDEXES.ORA' SIZE 1300234240
>REUSE, 'D:\MTL\DB\MILLERFILE2.DBF' SIZE 52428800 REUSE,
>'E:\LIVE_DBF\INDEX03.DBF' SIZE 125829120 REUSE, 'E:\LIVE_DBF\INDEX04.DBF'
>SIZE 10240 REUSE DEFAULT STORAGE (INITIAL 10240 NEXT 10485760 MINEXTENTS 1
>MAXEXTENTS 2147483645 PCTINCREASE 0) ONLINE PERMANENT
Maxextents has nothing to do with this error whatsoever. Oracle simply use this 2147483645 number as the real limit for what you defined as unlimited (... STORAGE(MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED ...). The message is simply saying you didn't delete the datafiles prior to import and the sice of the existing file is not the same as the one imp is expecting when creating tablespace MILLER.

>I agree with what jdurt_at_sky.net said ,"I have found that even though I have
>deleted files on NT, some times the OS still thinks they are there. More
>often than I care to I have had to completely shut down the server for NT to
>realise they are gone".........????

I'm not familiar with this kind of NT bugs and I can't deny it, but you simply can't blame the NT for the above error - the simple fact is you didn't precreate the tablespaces prior to import! If you would, the imp would simply ignore the "CREATE TABLESPACE ..." command from the .dmp file. John Durst very clearly pointed to your problem and suggested the sollution: precreate the tablespaces before using full import. And this was one of the essential steps in Manoj's firs post which you contradicted with the unreasonable demand of precreating users, synonyms, etc.

As a bottom line:
When you are cloning your existing database with full exp/full imp the following is true:

>Have Good Time
>
>Regards ...

Regards,
--
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sun Oct 11 1998 - 17:40:33 CDT