Re: Full Ex/Im-port to New Instance, NT

From: Yassir Khogaly <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:37:10 +0100

Dear ....You surely Need To Read More About OS users. The Article attached from Oracle Corporation Clearly says USERS WILL HAVE TO BE PRECREATED ....!! Also in case of having droped Database and Re-Installing NT. Or Lost your NT BOOT, Changing From FAT TO NTFS OR ....or Restructuring & Reorgnizing your Database In Full you have to follow this...UNDERSTAND..?

Have Good Time

Regards ...

Article-ID:         <Note:61569.1>
Alias:              OLS:10676850.6
Circulation:        PUBLISHED (ENTERNAL)
Folder:             platform.Desktop.WinNT
Platform:           GENERIC  Generic issue
Topic:              4.5 -- Technical Notes
Subject:            NT: CONFIGURING OS AUTHENTICATION (OPS$ ACCOUNTS)
Modified-Date:      13-AUG-1998 18:39:43
Document-Type:      BULLETIN
Impact:             MEDIUM

Abstract:           This bulletin outlines the steps required to
                    configure a Windows NT server to use OS Authentication
                    from Windows NT or Windows 95 clients using SQLNET
                    2.2 TCP/IP and Named Pipes.
Please refer to the Oracle 7 Server Release 7.3 for Windows NT User's Guide for more information about Using Windows NT OS Authentication.

The steps required to use OS Authentication from an Windows NT or Windows 95 client to a Windows NT server are as follows:

NOTE: The user account needs to be the same name on the Windows NT client

      and on the Windows NT server.  Also the OPS$ account should be post
      fixed with the same name as the Windows NT account.

  1. Create a user account on Windows NT server where the Oracle database resides.
    1. Go to the Program Manager and open the Administrative Tools Group.
    2. In the Administrative Tools Group double click on the User Manager Icon.
    3. Go to the User Menu and select New User
    4. Enter the Username: <name> and the same password the user uses on their Windows NT client.
    5. Click OK and the users is created for you on Windows NT server.
  2. Create an OPS$ account in the Oracle Database
    1. After the database is started, connect to the database as a DBA either through SQLPLUS or SQLDBA
    2. Issue the following command: CREATE USERS OPS$<name> IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;
    3. Issue the following command: GRANT CONNECT TO OPS$<name>;
    4. You will want to set the default tablespace and temporary tablespace for the users as well as set quotas and other parameters for the users. This is done with the alter user command as follows: ALTER USER OPS$<name> DEFAULT TABLESPACE <tablespace1> TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <tablespace2> QUOTA 10M ON <tablespace1> QUOTA 10M ON <tablespace2>;
    5. For more information on alter user parameters refer to the Server Administrator Guide.
  3. Share a directory on the Windows NT server where the Oracle database resides.

   NOTE: You do not need to Share a directory if you are using SQLNET

         Named Pipes.
     a) Go to the File Manager and highlight a directory that you want to
        share.
     b) Go to the Disk Menu and click on Share As
     c) In the New Share parameter box Set the Share Name: and any User
        Limits.  Also if you do not want to share this directory with
        everyone then click on the Permissions button and limit to what
        groups or users that you desire.
     d) Now click on OK button to create the shared directory.

4. Test the new OS Authentication account.

   Note: For SQL*NET 2.2 Named Pipes you do not need to perform steps

         b) to f)

  1. From the Windows NT client login as the userid that has been setup as an OPS$<userid> on the server.

        NOTE: You may need to reboot the client and Login again before the OS

              Authentication account will work on the database.

     b) Then run the File Manager
     c) Go to the Disk Menu and select Connect Network Drive.
     d) Select a Drive letter to be assigned to this network drive and if
you
        want to Reconnect at Logon check the check box.
     e) From the list of servers double click on the Windows NT server that
        the database reside on.
     f) Then double click on the shared directory.  If you are prompted for
        password, then user?s account that you created on the server has a
        different password than the user logged onto the client.  Go
        ahead and enter the password given to the user when it was created
        on the server.  You should now be sharing a network drive on the
        Database server.  If not please refer to your Windows NT
        documentation on how to share and connect to network drives.
     g) Now run SQLPLUS on the client and login to the database as follows:
        /@SQLNET2_DB_ALIAS.
        NOTE: If you do not have a SQLNET 2 database alias then you will
need
              to create one.  The easiest way for SQLNET 2.2 for Windows NT
              clients Is to use the SQL*NET EASY CONFIGURATION and create
              one.  For more information on this refer the Network Prods.
              User's Guide V2.2 online help file.
     h) You should now be connected to the database without having to enter
        username or password.  Again, to connect to the database using the
OS
        Authentication account connect as /@ SQLNET2_DB_ALIAS.

-
                                            Oracle Worldwide Customer
Support

mjain_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <6vml0p$nb1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Yassir,
>
> Jurij has explained to you, and I also reiterate that
>OS authenticated users are no different than proper oracle
>password authenticated users. Only thing is you don't have
>to specify the password when you login as OS authenticated
>user as Oracle uses OS login as authentication method.
>
> All users ( Os authenticated ones or Password authenticated )
>have their objects stored in the tablespaces ( and hence datafiles )
>and are exported when you do a full export and later when you
>do a full import then full import can create them back for you
>if used properly.
>
> Don't give any irrelevant reason and please try it out,
>and then let us know, what problem did you face and what
>did not come in the imported database as a result of full
>import.
>
> I know you are making it it a presitge issue, don't think
>that I or Jurij want to put you down, we all are learning and
>not everyone knows everything, the aim of this newsgroup is
>to get imformed, learn things you don't know or you are
>confused/mis-informed, correct if you believe or know is wrong,
>and you have a different opinion.
>
> I can only say you have to try yourself then only you
>will know, if you find otherwise then please tell so that I
>can also learn that.
>
> take it as a healthy discussion..
>
> Jurij, thanks for your inputs on this discussions, if I were
>alone I would have left this topic alone sometime ago.
>
> We can discuss things and don't force anyone if they have
>certain beleifs already deeply set in their mind. Hope this
>clears the issue.
>
> Yassir, let us know what other doubts you have, again please
>try it and then make more comments.
>
> I am liking the discussion and would like to continue if
>you are interested.
>
>thanks,
>
>Manoj Jain
>Oracle Certified Professional - OCP DBA
>Chauncey Certified Oracle7 DBA
>

>In article <6vlo5h$54k$1_at_newsreader2.core.theplanet.net>,
> "Yassir Khogaly" <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Obviously none of you had any database with OS auth Users having locally
>> stored objects,,,
>> mjain_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<6vlb31$kbt$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> >Yassir,
>> >
>> > Have you tried what I said in my mail. Try it now.
>> >Then let us see what problems you encounter.
>> >
>> > Jurji also tried to explain you about it in his posting
>> >again second time. You can also change the DB_BLOCK_SIZE to
>> >a different value than original when you create new database
>> >
>> >I suggest you try a full export and then do a full import as
>> >I and Jurji tried to explain, and if you find any problems then
>> >let us look into it, and see what is missing, or what is done
>> >wrong.
>> >
>> > This is only logical way to convince you, I am sure you will be
>> >convinced if you try it yourself.
>> >
>> >good luck,
>> >
>> >Manoj Jain
>> >Oracle Certified Profrssional - OCP DBA