Re: Access over WAN

From: scooby <scooby.do_at_shaggynet.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:45:38 +0100

Al wrote:

> It really depends on your application. Somes applications are very chatty,
> especially those that perform their own validations (as opposed to triggers
> & constraints at the server). Other applications allow the users to
> retrieve large quantities of data. Either of these scenarios will boost
> your need for bandwidth.
>
> Uwe Janssen wrote in message <360FC743.A3BA2E5F_at_offis.uni-oldenburg.de>...
> >Hello,
> >
> >we use oracle 7 installed on a UNIX-Host. Now we want to access this db
> >over a Wide Area Network (WAN) with sql*net from a second location with
> >10 Users.
> >
> >I get no experience with oracle, so:
> >what size of bandwith (e.g. 128 kbit/s, 2 Mbit/s) is approximately
> >required for WAN-Link to work with the Apps based on oracle?
> >
> >thank in advance
> >
> >Uwe
> >_______________________________________
> >Uwe Janßen
> >Institut OFFIS e. V.
> >Email: janssen_at_offis.uni-oldenburg.de

Now here's an interesting one.

We had an application written for us by a consultancy to run client/server over a WAN between NT clients and an NT Oracle database server. When the system was developed it was done at the site where the database server was located so was tested over the LAN (yeah I know - how ****ing stupid can you be) where it worked fine. When it was implemented remotely it ran like a dog.

Our initial thought was network saturation, but when we monitored it we found this was not the case. The problem was the application was sending little bits of data to and from the server each of which introduced latency.

The solution was to change as much of the SQL as possible to run in stored procedures on the database rather than chatting to and from the client. This took about 4 days and changed response times from 40 seconnds to < 2 seconds in some instances.

For info our WAN is 512K frame relay, but the moral of the story is that concentrating on network bandwidth isn't necessarily the correct thing to do. Far better to get the business logic onto the server as much as possible and then the application has a better chance regardless of the WAN size.

Hope this helps.

By the way we're just trying to implement JD Edwards OneWorld product over a similar WAN and that on initial inspection appears to have similar problems - problem there is that the application is massive - slightly longer than 4 days to sort out I think. Received on Sat Oct 10 1998 - 05:45:38 CDT