Re: Something strange when full offline backup

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 98 23:37:25 GMT

I looks like this is a Window NT server? In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, it may be good to realize that the offline backup means that the copies of the redo-log files are really not useful for recovery at this point (shutdown immediate means the logs contain only commited data which is located in the datafiles thereby making these logs not needed as long as the backed up datafiles are good). The other thing I have noticed is that often for an NT backup there is a net stop OracleSevice<SID> before the copy command as oracle says to close any open files? (Metalink? Doc 11816480.16 I think) Then after the copy a net start OracleService<SID> is done before the server manager startup open command is issued (only because it was net stoped earlier and without it the db will not startup).

The archivelog mode is needed to do recoveries from online backups and "point in time" aka incomplete recoveries.

But really why the time should be so much different is a mystery, none of what I wrote seems to explain that.

In article <36247082.8362975_at_news.twsc.pouchen.com.tw>, violin.hsiao_at_mail.pouchen.com.tw (Violin) wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a question and need some help.
>My database is Oracle7.3 on Netware4.10.
>The database is in archivelog mode,
>and I do full offline backup every night.
>My step is:
>22:00 shutdown immediate
>22:05 copy oranw\database\*.* d:\backup
>00:00 startup
>
>My problem is :
>After shutdown and copy *.* d:\backup,
>and I check all files in d:\backup next morning,
>I found the time of log1orcl.dbf is different from other files.
>Here is the list of d:\backup:
>
>ctl1orcl.ora 230K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>log1orcl.ora 200K 1998/10/8 PM 01:36
>log2orcl.ora 200K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>rbs1orcl.ora 5,122K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>sys1orcl.ora 10,242K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>sys2orcl.ora 30,722K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>tmp1orcl.ora 7,170K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>usr1orcl.ora 13,314K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>usr2orcl.ora 102,402K 1998/10/8 PM 10:00
>
>Only log1orcl.ora update time is different.
>I check the alert file,there's no error about shutdown and startup.
>Does d:\backup\*.* work for recovery?
>(I'm so afraid it can't use for recovery!)
>Please give me some tips.
>I'll appreciate for your help.
>Please Cc to : violin.hsiao_at_mail.pouchen.com.tw,Thanks.
>
>Violin.

Gerald P. Sinkiewicz
E-mail sinkiege_at_tiac.net Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 18:37:25 CDT