Re: Only a sennior DBA would know

From: Cheng-Jih Chen <cjc_at_interport.net>
Date: 9 Oct 1998 15:29:33 -0400

In article <6vlgbp$sjh$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <satar_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>I never understood why it matters if you have 7 -10 years of experience to be
>considered as a Senior level. Oracle's technology has changed dramatically in
>the past 2 years alone. Sure you might have 10 years of experience with
>Oracle Ver. 5,6 or even 7, but a company who uses Oracle 8 won't benefit any
>different from an junior level who has the same year experience as the senior
>level guy with Oracle 8.

Agreed, though it takes some years to "season" administrators, be they DBAs or SAs. Clue acquisition can't be speeded up and the quota of stupid mistakes must be exhausted from the admin's system. This process may take years. After all, it's the acquisition of wisdom about systems.

The tricky part, as an employer, is to figure out if this seasoning has taken place. Without any concrete info, companies may rely on some gross measure, like "years of experience". Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 14:29:33 CDT