Re: Extreme Oracle Newbie Question!

From: Keith Boulton <boulke_at_globalnetnospam.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 14:38:40 GMT

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:36:55 -0500, "Randal Chapman" <Randalc_at_corprasoft.com> wrote:

>Hi group.
>
>Sorry for the lowliness of this question! I have been working with MS SQL
>server for many years and I have finally decided to make the switch to
>Oracle after all the good stuff I've read and heard.
>
>Someone else installed the Oracle server, and the only login I know is
>system manager (I assume this was built in). I need to create a new database
>but that option is always blanked out, and when I try to connect as a system
>dba it says I don't have permissions.
>
>All I need is a simple step by step! The admin tools are SO different - all
>I want to do is create a database, put some tables in it, and then get to
>that database via RDO from VB. Should I re-install Oracle and go from there?
>
>In Oracle parlance, is a "database" analogous to an MS SQL server "server"
>and an Oracle "tablespace" analogous to an MS SQL server "database"?
>
>Thanks for any and all help.
>
>_Randal

An oracle database could be considered similar to a sqlserver server except that oracle allows multiple databases on a machine whereas I believe sqlserver allows only one server per machine.

The nearest thing to a sqlserver database is an oracle schema (or user). To create a new user, issue the following commands from sqlplus:

create user <username> identified by <password> default tablespace usr temporary tablespace temporary;
grant connect,resource to <username>;

The default tablespace is where the user's objects will be created by default and should be set explicitly to something other than SYSTEM. Likewise the temporary tablespace is the tablespace used for sorts to disk. The names I've used are the default tablespaces set up using the database creation wizard in oracle 8. Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 09:38:40 CDT