Oracle Storage Parameters

From: <townselk_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:01:06 GMT

Hi,

I'm a new DBA and I have a storage question for anyone who wants to respond. I was reading in my Oracle 7 server:  Data Administration Student Guide that the inital extent parameter defaults to 5 data blocks.  My question is a two-fold question as it relates to the STORAGE clause.  On my system, the DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 4k. If you have a small table you want to create, do you still have to specify a size for the INITIAL PARAMETER if Oracle will default to app. 20k by default (4096 *5).  What sizing takes precedence?  The default value or a value you set, for example, 10k.

Please relieve my confusion

Thanks,

Kelly