Oracle Storage Parameters

From: <townselk_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 11:55:32 GMT

Hi,

I'm a new DBA and I have a storage question for anyone who wants to respond. I was reading in my Oracle 7 server:  Data Administration Student Guide that the inital extent parameter defaults to 5 data blocks.  My question is a two-fold questions as it relates to the STORAGE clause.  On my system, the DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 4k..if you have a small table do you still have to specify a size for the INITIAL PARAMETER if Oracle already will default to app. 20k by default (4096 *5).  What sizing takes precedence?  The default value or if you were to size the initial extent parameter less than the default say, for example, 10k.

Please relieve my confusion

Thanks,

Kelly