Re: Order of Transactions

From: Tornyi Lajos <ltornyi_at_alpha-consulting.hu>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:14:47 +0100

Hi Matthew,
The sequence numbers are generated as requested so in your example case it goes something like:

UserA gets sequence number 100 (nextval is 101 now)
UserB gets sequence number 101 (nextval is 102 now)
UserA gets sequence number 102 (nextval is 103 now)
UserX gets sequence number 103 (nextval is 104 now)
and so on...

It doesn't really matters if there are multiple users, the sequence gives numbers in order. But beware - transaction rollback doesn't effect sequence number generators (if you rollback, the nextval won't be decreased). The ORDER clause only matters if you have OPS in parallel mode.