Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: Chris Ruemmler <ruemmler_at_cello.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 1998/10/08

In article <01bdecdb$eb75c9c0$4ca2410c_at_default>, Phil Cook <pncook_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I have seen no performance difference between 10.2 and 11. I believe that
>8.05x on HP-UX 11 supports memory addressing beyond 2 gig.
>Any Oracle version less on HP-UX will not support greater than
>2 gig, so you have wasted memory, unless you give it to other
>processes or to OS cache.

This is actually not true with Oracle. Oracle allocates a lot of per-process data for doing things like sorts and hash-joins. So if you are doing DSS type stuff, the 2GB limit is not very real because Oracle will allocate more than 2GB of memory, but spread it among its worker processes for doing DSS type work. So, if you have 50 worker processes, each could allocate up to 1GB of local memory thus using a total of 50GB of memory.

All you need is 64-bit HP-UX. You can live with 32-bit Oracle. However, 64-bit Oracle will won't have limits on the "global" shared area/pools and will be better optimized for PA8xxx processors given it can run "newer" instructions vs the 32-bit code.

--Chris
My own views Received on Thu Oct 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT