Re: Pro*C vs OCI

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoindex_at_nyx10.nyx.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 00:04:56 GMT

In article <6vj9qm$tt3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <kdas_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>I know this is a bit of a glib question, but can anyone describe how much
>faster OCI is when compared to Pro*C? As Raghu mentions, OCI is much more

"faster" means different things to different folks. "Faster development" or "Faster execution" spring to mind.

I don't have enough recent knowledge of executions speeds between OCI and ProC. My intution would say that anytime you hit the network, assuming you have a two- or three-tier architecture and relatively modern hardware, any difference OCI vs. ProC is not important.

Now, if you're talking about faster developemnt, I'd make the case that either OCI or ProC pale in comparison to other development tools. Modern scripting languages with database interfaces can cut development times considerably. I'm the author of Oratcl, an Oracle interface for the Tcl language. Oracle itself uses Tcl and Oratcl in its Oracle Enterprise Manager product.

It might depend on what application you're trying to write; in any case, they are worth evaluating. Follow my web page for info on Oratcl; see www.scriptics.com or comp.lang.tcl for Tcl information.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex_at_nyx.net