Re: Pro*C vs OCI

From: Bob Withers <bwit_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 18:54:42 -0500

In article <6vj9qm$tt3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, kdas_at_my-dejanews.com says...
> In article <35F5F13A.4FD5CB36_at_india.hp.com>,
> "K. Raghuraman" <kraghu_at_india.hp.com> wrote:
> > Hi Sebastien,
> >
> > OCI is a native interface with Oracle. Pro*C is the embedded code that
> > operate on an Oracle database. OCI is faster than Pro*C and does not
> > require any precompilers. OCI is pretty difficult to develop compared to
> > Pro*C. Also if you have any plan for migration to other databases, OCI
>
> I know this is a bit of a glib question, but can anyone describe how much
> faster OCI is when compared to Pro*C? As Raghu mentions, OCI is much more
> difficult to develop with than Pro*C. In my experience this has meant
> increased development timeframes for OCI vs. Pro*C. Also, as developers
> leave projects developed with OCI, maintainance issues arise as the number of
> programmers with a substantial knowledge of OCI isn't very high.
>
> Any help or observations would be appreciated.

In my experience the best thing to do is develop your own class library built on top of OCI. I've never been happy with applications I developed using Pro*C/C++ and I also didn't like directly embedding OCI calls in the applications. Our own class library solved the problem and also insulates our apps from Oracle specific interfaces.

Regards,
Bob

--

Bob Withers                            Do or do not, there is no try
bwit_at_pobox.com                                               Yoda