Re: SqlNet Connection from Oracle 8 to Oracle 7

From: Mike Oswald <minomaha_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 07:52:03 -0500

Have you checked the PORT assignments for both versions of Oracle? In our environment Oracle7 was using port=1526 and Oracle8 was using port=1521.

In fact... one of our Oracle instances uses port=1521 ... a vendor supplies product using Oracle7 ... but we have and continue to use port=1526 for the Oracle instances I have installed.

I had to change or recommend that all of the TNSNAMES.ORA files residing on PC's in the field change their port numbers to the appropriate one.

Funny thing is... I hate SQL*Net Easy Config... it seems to place both PORTS in the tnsnames.ora file... as if it is covering to cover both ports. This can mess you up if you use that tool.... so manually editing is a good thing when you have different versions of Oracle running.

Mike Oswald
Carlson Hospitality Worldwide