Re: Full Ex/Im-port to New Instance, NT

From: <mjain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 06:20:16 GMT

Gene,

For full export you should do the following:-

  1. Create the database using CREATE DATABASE command.
  2. Run catalog.sql and catproc.sql ready-made oracle scripts.
  3. Create rollback tablespace & non-system rollback segments, and bring non-system rollback segments online which are necessary for inserts into tables residing in tablespaces other than SYSTEM tablespace.
    • Step-3- is important for data inserts in non-system tablespaces.
  4. Create all other tablespaces beforehand, as if you allow the full import to do that for you it will use the datafile names used in the database which was used for export. This may fail due to several reasons, like directories not precreated or same file used by an existing instance ( if datafile is used by existing instance).
    • Step-4- is very important, if you allow import to create the tablespaces and if it fails in creating any one of them then your import will have major problems. So, I always suggest to precreate the tablespaces.

Now you ready for FULL IMPORT.

Do a full import now.

Hope this helps,

Also give me your feedback after you use this method, I would like to know if it worked for you. Please drop me an email after you accomplish the full import from a full export file.

Manoj Jain
Oracle Certified Professional - OCP DBA Chauncey Certified Oracle7 DBA