Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: P. J. Isserlis <jeremy_isserlis_at_non-hp-unitedkingdom-om1.om.hp.com>
Date: 1998/10/07

If you get HP-UX 11 for a PA8*** chip on which 64 bit is implemented it is not a case of installing one or the other: having installed, one may boot into 32 or 64 bit - simple config change in one place (that I can not remember). Also, performance aside, 32-bit HP-UX can compile 64-bit objects, though of course it can not execute 64-bit programmes. 64-bit can compile and execute both 32 and 64 bit programmes.

        Performance issues are complex. Certain large applications that can use very large memory rather than disc may well go faster under 64-bit. Again, 64-bit allows larger files, logical discs etc.. So there could be many reasons for needing/preferring 64 bit. Generally, programmes not needing 64-bit will be faster or the same under 32-bit rather than 64-bit HP-UX; but that is just a general guide.

        Read the "HP-UX 64-bit Porting and Transition Guide" (freely available via HP site and perhaps with HP-UX11) for more on all of this.