Re: Oracle 7.3.3 Named Pipe

From: jan <jan_at_tat.dk>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:25:40 +0200

Heinz Scharfenberger wrote:

> Wer kann mir Info's geben wie man das Einrichtet, bzw. wie es
> funktioniert.
>
> Danke!!

Your chances for getting an answer will be better if you write in english.

Named pipes are not a universal standard like eg TCP/IP - you have 'named pipes' in UNIX, Windows NT and OS/2, and possibly other OSes as well, but they are not the same everywhere.

However, I guess that you're using NT? The basic principle is that in an NT
net the machines have names, like SERV1, SERV2 etc. A named pipe that connects from your PC to eg SERV1 would be called \\SERV1\pipe\<pipename>
where <pipename> should be replaced with whatever you call your pipe.

If you use 'SQLNet Easy Configuration' you will be asked to give a connection
name - the 'host string' you will use when logging on to Oracle - a protocol,
which can be eg. 'named pipes' or 'TCP', and an address, which in the case
of named pipes should be a pipe name of the form described above.

I have never used named pipes, and for several reasons. First of all they are
not portable, which means that you're limited to what you can see within the
NT net. Secondly, the TCP protocol seems to me very much easier - I know

it from the Internet, and it is used universally, which means that you can in
principle connect to any Oracle database which you can reach over the Internet.

/jan Received on Wed Oct 07 1998 - 02:25:40 CDT