ORACLE Performance Questions

From: Daniel Gessnitzer <gessnitzer_at_ipks.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:57:06 +0200

Hello
We are use ORACLE 7.3 Workgroup Server on Win NT Server (dual P150). Our client transfers Data from an older production database system and writes every Record with an single Update Statement into one row (via an ODBC connection). We have measured 30 milliseconds per Statement which is to slow for our application. We must write ca. 100 records per Second, so we need an time delay of 10 ms per statement. In this environment we has the following questions:

  1. What kind of update method is the best
  2. stored procedure
  3. prepared Statement
  4. unprepared Statement via SQLExecDirekt()
  5. Which datatype for numerical integer data is the fastet that ORACLE can handle?
  6. Is multithreading on clientside, which one thread per statement (and Connection) a possible solution and is the current available ORACLE ODBC driver Threadsafe?
  7. Is there an good book outside targeting this kind of problems?

thanks in advance

Daniel

--
Daniel Gessnitzer