Re: Object-Oriented To Go or Not to Go

From: Sergey Tavanets <ambiente_at_soft-review.kiev.ua>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 98 11:18:15 +0200

dmarsha3 (dmarsha3_at_csc.com) wrote:

> Group :
>
> I am in a dilemma when to use object-oreinted features and when to
> use relational database features in designing an model or database.
> I was curious if there were any books or material or rules of thumb
> available in deciding on these architecture issues. and some practical
> examples available.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> rama
> rkolluru_at_csc.com

Object oriented features of Oracle8 seem a bit incomplete. They didn't introduce table iheritance and (though it might be my fault) I couldn't find how to change an object's state using methods of objects. I think it's worth waiting for Oracle8i and see what it will offer. Also note that object option is not available for Workgroup server! It would also be interesting to hear people's object experience in Oracle.

Regards, Sergey Received on Tue Oct 06 1998 - 04:18:15 CDT