Problem to create mutiple databases(instances).

From: zhengrong yang <zhengrong_yang_at_hp.com>
Date: 5 Oct 1998 19:21:38 GMT

I have installed the oracle starter database without much trouble. But when I tried to
create a new database, I run in trouble and can't figure out why.

The installation is on a NetWare 5 server. OEM 5 user. The following is what I do.

1: Create a directory for the database, named testdb.
2: Copy the initorcl.ora in the directory and rename it to INITTEST.ORA
3: edit the file, change the database name to TEST
4: Configure listener and database instance TEST
5: Load oracle - oraload
6: Verify listener running using lsnctrl80.
7: invoke srvmgr30
	connect internal -------- succeed
	startup pfile='oracle:oranw803\testdb\inittest.ora' nomount -- succeed
	create database test
	datafile ...
	log file ...			-- succeed.

8: verify data file and log file created. 9: Trouble to connect to database using SID TEST. 10:Trouble to start the instance for SID=ORCL

	startup pfile='oracle:oranw803\database\initorcl.ora
	-- can't start an already running instance, shut down first.

Any one can tell me what is wrong. I think you have to start an instance for each database you have.

Thanks in advance.

Yang Received on Mon Oct 05 1998 - 14:21:38 CDT