Watch what you call your ORACLE_SID!

From: Bagpuss <Young_at_Heart.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:56:27 GMT

My earlier "ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE..." plea for help is finally no longer valid! The reason for this error was most bizarre!

Apparently, when connecting remotely, or even locally, via TCP/IP (at least) if there is any file in your ORACLE_PATH that matches your ORACLE_SID you may encounter the same problem as me i.e. an 'ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE...' error. (Oracle was, in fact, more available tham a certain Miss Lewinsky). Iam using Unixware 2.1.2 and Oracle 7.3.3.

I post this in the hope that no-one reading it will ever be bamboozled by this perplexing and ultimately time-consuming problem!!

Cheers!

Bagpuss. Received on Mon Oct 05 1998 - 12:56:27 CDT