Re: Join Table

From: Dan Guzman <nospamplease_guzmanda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/10/03

Ronald, I believe set processing is significantly faster than cursor processing in SQL Server as well as most other DBMSs. The exception to this rule is if the optimizer generates a poor execution plan.

However, I do agree with your statement that joins can be difficult to read and understand. Most folks, especially programmers, have a tendency to take a procedural approach in retrieving data. However, the performance benefits make learning 'pure SQL with the trouble. This is especially true for large applications.

BTW, I think either of the following queries address Ng K C Paul's issue:

    SELECT tab1_key, tab2_key
    FROM tab1, tab2
    WHERE tab2_key = (SELECT MAX(tab2_key) FROM tab2 WHERE tab2_key <= tab1_key)

    SELECT tab1_key, tab2_key
    FROM tab1
    JOIN tab2 ON tab2_key = (SELECT MAX(tab2_key) FROM tab2 WHERE tab2_key <= tab1_key)