ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE message via TCP/IP - Help me!

From: Bagpuss <Young_at_Heart.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 01:26:07 GMT

Hello!

Here's a small problem that Oracle (as yet), me and about three thousand pages of assorted Oracle manuals can't resolve...

I still think I must be missing something really simple!

I have two databases, let's call them db1 and db2.

Having copied the db1 database from one machine to another, and upgraded it to 7.3.3, the SQL*Net configuration files were duplicated and then changed to reflect the ORACLE_SID of db1. db1 had never previously been configured for use with TCP/IP as there was no need to do so.

All user profiles were changed to reflect the new ORACLE_SID. Both databases share the same ORACLE_HOME to make life easier.

Although when connecting locally everything is fine, when connecting via TCP/IP an 'ORACLE not available' error occurs.

e.g Running 'sqlplus ops\$username/password_at_db1' (even on the local machine) produces the error whereas 'sqlplus ops\$username/password' does not.

The new listener has already started up fine and has the service 'db1' running.

When reverting to the other database - db2 - and changing all references to 'db1' in the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files to 'db2' and starting the 'listen_db2' listener all is well regards connecting to 'db2' via TCP/IP.

A listener trace and a client trace have proved that the SQL*Net configuration files are working correctly. I've even relinked the oracle executable 'sqlplus' to the network protocols again in desperation.

So, knowing that the SQL*Net configuration files are correct, what could be producing this error? Is there a rdbms parameter that I am missing for 'db1' seeing that it has bever been configured for access via TCP/IP before?

I would be eternally grateful for a few clues!

Thanks.

Bagpuss. Received on Sat Oct 03 1998 - 20:26:07 CDT