Re: UTL_FILE Capabilities

From: Jens Mayer <jmayer_at_ratundtat.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 14:35:56 GMT

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:29:34 +0100, "Jeremy Ovenden" <jovenden_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>I see I can open, read, write, close files using UTL_FILE (7.3+). Is there
>anyone knows if it is possible to do two other things (using pl/sql):
>
>1) get a 'directory list' from the o/s?

Sorry, no way. I looked for the source of the utl_file - package, hoping that there would be some undocumented functions, but only the package is readable, the package body is encrypted. (7.3.3.2)

>2) delete files on the o/s filesystem?
I had the same question some month ago and I contacted the ORACLE Hotline. Simple answer: 'No'. The hotline-guy mentioned that this would be a security-problem, because people might delete ORACLE-specific files. Sure, opening a file with write access and then flushing it is quite the same and this IS allowed.... (7.3.3.2)

Hope that these answers didn't frustrate you too much.

Jens

P.S. If you find out anything else, please post !

Jens Mayer
Rat&Tat GmbH
Hamburg
jmayer_at_ratundtat.com Received on Fri Oct 02 1998 - 09:35:56 CDT