Asymmetric Sun-cluster

From: Michael Roettig <michael_at_roettig.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:17:08 +0000

Greetings,

we have Oracle 7.3.4 running on a Sun Enterprise 3000 (Solaris 2.5.1). We now have to increase performance and availability. We're thinking about, to change the configuration like follows:

Today: E3000, 4 CPUs, 1 GB RAM, 3Com ATM interface

       24 GB (Sparc Storage Array) mirrored
       Solaris 2.5.1

Future: E3000, 4 CPUs, 2 GB RAM, 3Com ATM interface
        E450, 1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 3Com ATM interface
	2 x Sun A5000 disk-array with each 58 GB (mirrored)
        Solaris 2.6 each
	Sun Enterprise Cluster 2.1

The idea is, that the E450 should run 'standby'. In case of crashing the E3000, the E450 should take over all active connections. Both machines has their own power circuit and ups.

Our priority is to continue with our service, even if the performance break down in case of a crash. Second priority: As cheap as possible :-/

Sun advised this solution and Oracle told us a "should run probably".

I like to double-check this configuration and prefer an independent comment.

Thank you in advance
Michael Received on Fri Oct 02 1998 - 07:17:08 CDT