Re: Hardware recommendation???

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_lucifer.guardian.no>
Date: 1998/10/01

[jan <jan_at_tat.dk>]

| Later this year you can get Oracle 8 for Linux - this means that you can
| cut the OS out of your budget, as Linux is free. Linux supports the SMB
| protocol (which is used by NT) as well as a lot others - anyway, you'll
| be connecting to Oracle via TCP/IP, which is the only thing that makes
| sense. But if you choose, you can use Linux as file/printer server for NT
| and Win95 as well.

I thought the release would be some time next year, but hey, if Oracle decide to release it earlier (if O8 for Linux is mature enough that is) I'd be very happy indeed :-).

on a more picky note, yes Linux is free, and yes, in this particular case where very low cost is important the fact that Linux is free is certainly going to be important, but the REAL reason for chosing Linux is not cost: it's that Linux is simply a very good OS that makes very good use of your machine.

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://borud.priv.no/>           | as damage and routes around it."