Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: Marcus Thiessel <thiessel_at_gmx.net>
Date: 1998/10/01

GD <garret_davis_at_cargill.com> writes:

> 1. Can anyone tell me if that's true?
>
> 2. Is there really a speed up between 10.20 and the 11.0 64bit?
>
> 3. Has anyone done any testing?
>
> 4. Is there really a good enough reason to go to Oracle 8 and 11.0?

Depends on your application and how it utilizes OS and system resources. In general moving from 32 bit to 64 bit implies a performance decrease. The reason for this vary from larger data structures in the kernel to a blow up of 64 bit code (apps). Further algorithm change for 64 bit.

On the other hand you can go far beyond the 32 bit implementation limits. This means tonns of shared and physical memory. Thus, you can use extended size of buffer caches and other OS resource which will overcome the initial performance decrease (possibly by factors).

Especially, on HP-UX there are performance im improvements in the kernel and you can also expect an improved libc. Further you may want to use kernel threads.

> The system I would like to run it on is a D380/2 with 1 gig of memory.

If you are not hit 32 bit implementation limits there is no use in a 64 bit OS. You should chose to install HP-UX 32 bit instead.

--Marcus Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT