Re: Tuning Database Help

From: <Clive>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 23:34:38 GMT

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:46:17 -0400, carl christianson <cchristianson_at_knowledgesoft.com> wrote:

>I have a database on Solaris 2.6 that when running designer 2000, 2.1
>against it doing the reverse enginner of tables and such the box goes to
>100% cpu utilization. Of which 99% is usr.
>My buffer hit ratio is 99.9% there is absolutely no waiting on any of
>the disks.
>I run utlbstat/utlestat to see what's up and the only thing that stands
>out is:
>
>Event Name Count Total Time Avg Time
>rdbms ipc message 8 48008
>6001
>
>I understand what this is but how can you tune it?
>It also seems that there is an excessive amount of time waiting on PMON
>and SMON.
>BTW: Oracle version 7.3.4.1.0
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

The rdbms ipc message event is normally an indication that a background process is waiting for work. I'm not sure why you mention the CHR as it looks very healthy. It sound as though the database is running fine unless there are any other events listed which are indicative of a performance problem. Why not post a bstat/estat report? Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 18:34:38 CDT