Inserting into long datatype.

From: Srinivasa Cherukuri <srinivasac_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 18:06:07 -0400

I am doing the following process in a stored procedure.

declare
  cursor c is select col1, col2, ..coln from table1_at_dblink1;

In the above process, there is a long datatype column both in table1 and table2. As this process is taking too much time, I verified and I found that it is taking maximum time in the insert statement about 5 seconds for each insert. I am dealing with 250000 records and I need to optimise this process.

It is not a problem with indexes as I disabled/dropped indexes on table2 during this process. Infact, I moved about 32 records in a second in a similar other process in which there are no long datatypes in the tables. I assume the reason for the problem is long datatype. I'm not sure though.

Can any one there advise me a better way of dealing with this. Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 17:06:07 CDT