Strange behaviour of ANSI Configuration of Oracle 7.3 on NT

From: Mohamad SALEH <msaleh_at_orsys.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:07:36 +0200

Hi all,

I wanted to test Oracle functioning with ANSI configuration for transaction treating. I positioned
the following in "INIT.ORA"

compatible = 7.3.0.0.0
serializable = true
rows_locking = always

The test was on two different machines : the first is NT4 Server with service pack 1, and the other is
a NT4 workstation with service pack 3.

I have compared the parameters in each instance. They have all the same values. But Oracle doesn't
behave in the same manner!!

In the documentation they say that UPDATE and DELETE will place an SRX lock
on the table (which is really strange) but INSERT would place an RX lock on the table.

In my tests I had the following : the machine with the NT Server functions in conformance with the
documentation, but the other place an RX lock for all three statements : INSERT, UPDATE,
and DELETE!!

I would say that the second is better and acts in conformance with ANSI requirements but
what would be the reason of this difference?

Any hints! Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 05:07:36 CDT