Re: Crazy mistake in "Oracle Unleashed"

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:38:26 -0500

Thanks, John Durst!

That was exactly my point.

Think about the backup of a large tablespace (several 2GB files) while updating. Several REDO logs may be created (and archived (and overwritten) ) during the backup. How could Oracle read the REDO logs at then end of the backup?

John Durst wrote:

While putting a tablespace in backup mode does alter the generation of redo to
include entire blocks for that tablespace, that doesn't mean the DBWR process
stops writing to the datafiles.  The datafile header is frozen at the begin backup
so that at recovery time (if media recovery is necessary) we know where to begin
in the redo log history.  Entire blocks are written in case the DBWR writes into
the same block the backup process is reading.  The end backup command just updates
the datafile header when the backup process is complete.  If you reread your own
post you will see that only the datafile header blocks are not updated during the
online backup.