Sizing Oracle 7 Indexes

From: Ronaldo Juliatto <rjuliatto_at_geocities.com>
Date: 1998/09/29

Hello

I have been using the hints at Oracle DBA Handbook in order to size the indexes my database will use. However, usually the size needed is larger than that calculated.

I believe this must be due to fragmentation of indexes and/or overhead. Is there a more complete and explainable formula (I have seen some heuristic and unexplainable ones) to calculate the size of the indexes, foreseeing more accurately overhead and fragmentation?

Thanks in advance

Ronaldo Juliatto Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT